Sunday, March 6, 2011

I am not Bipolar... I have Bipolar Disorder

My last blog was an introduction on how I first heard the words Bipolar Disorder and it's the journey I have been on that has inspired me to write this blog. I would like to share how I have survived with bipolar disorder and help others out there that may be confused as I was at 16 years old. My goal is to help others find the help they need and maybe find some answers on how to survive with Bipolar Disorder. Bipolar Disorder is nothing to be ashamed of and it is no one's fault. It is simply a disease just like any other that has to be treated. I have wanted for many years to reach out to others with my own personal knowledge and I thought this would be the best device. I have kept journals for years so I have many stories and experiences to share. If I could help just one person from going through the struggle that I went through with so much confusion than I feel that I have achieved my main goal in life. That was my original goal after all from the very beginning. I wanted to add something very important to the human race and I think that sharing my journey is that important thing that might educate and fight stigma associated with this illness.


My father has always called me "his little fighter" and I guess that spirit is what has kept me alive for this long. I refuse to give into my illness. I will tell you a little bit about my current conditions.  I did finish college with a degree in accounting but my world is very different than the one I imagined back in 1989. It is much better though in so many ways. I have an amazing husband that truly accepts my illness and is there every step of the way. I have a very supportive family and I could not have survived without their emotional support. I also have an amazing doctor that really understands me and knows the best treatment plan. I will not lie and say it's been an easy road to travel but I am still cruising down the highway of life. I would not change one thing because it has made me the person I am today and I would never change the things I have learned.

Today I would like to leave you with the encouragement that it is possible to lead a fairly stable life with the right treatment and support system. So if you have been recently diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder or know someone that has, then stay tuned to more of my blogs to learn more about it from someone that has dealt with it for over 20 years. There are plenty of sites out there that will tell you the basics about the illness but I think that sometimes it's good to hear it from someone who has lived through it. I know in my journey it was helpful to meet others that dealt with the same issues that I did. I welcome any comments or questions and I will do my best to be as open and honest as I can about my journey to survive Bipolar Disorder. I would welcome you all to share your own personal journey with it as well.

I am now very thankful that my parents sought treatment for me as hard as it was and I am alive today because of their love. I have now learned to hold my head up high and be proud of who I am.  Yes there is a lot of stigma out in the world against mental illness but it is time we stood up together and help educate the nation.  I have learned that I no longer say I am bipolar.  I now say I have bipolar disorder because it does not define who I am or my limits.  It only describes an illness that I was born with and that I am under constant treatment just like anyone else out there that has an illness that they have to always be under a doctor's care.  No there is not a cure for Bipolar Disorder but there are so many wonderful treatments for it that can help you live a stable life.  I will be blogging more in the future about how I reached the place that I sit at in my life at this moment.  I hope you have enjoyed reading my blog so far and I look forward to sharing more with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment